Learn Kotlin for Android App Development!
Finally get a solid understanding of Kotlin, along with hands-on practice with two sample apps. This book hits the sweet spot between theory and practice, teaches you the best practices for object-orientation, functional programming, interoperability and more in Kotlin, and gives you a practical intro with hundreds of code listings.
Write More Robust and Maintainable Android Apps with Kotlin
“Peter Sommerhoff takes a practical approach to teaching Kotlin by providing a larger set of code listings that demonstrate language features and by guiding readers through the development of two Android apps step by step. . . . Peter finds a good balance between what is essential and what can be left to readers, so this book is an efficient yet comprehensible source for starting programming with Kotlin.”
–Bernhard Rumpe, Professor of Software Engineering, RWTH Aachen University
The Kotlin language brings state-of-the-art programming techniques and constructs to Android development. Kotlin for Android App Development will help you rapidly understand Kotlin’s principles and techniques, apply Kotlin in production app development, integrate Kotlin with existing Java code, and plan a migration to Kotlin, if you choose.
If you have at least basic programming experience (with any language), Peter Sommerhoff’s well-crafted overview and examples will help you get quickly up-to-speed with the Kotlin language, its constructs, and its advanced functional and object-oriented capabilities.
Once you’ve mastered these foundations, Sommerhoff walks you through two complete app development projects, introducing best practices and emerging patterns for writing code that’s robust, concise, readable, and highly performant.
- Understand Kotlin’s goals, principles, advantages, design, and constructs
- Take full advantage of functional programming in the Kotlin environment
- Write more concise and reusable code using Kotlin’s object-oriented features
- Interoperate with existing Java code, and plan a migration to Kotlin
- Use coroutines to efficiently handle concurrency
- Capture data via third-party APIs, map it to internal data representations, and present it to users
- Master best practices for architecting Kotlin Android apps
- Improve productivity and readability by creating simple domain-specific languages in Kotlin
474 Code Listings
Learn by example: every Kotlin feature is explained with a code snippet that guides you through how it works.
40 Hands-on Exercises
Immediately apply what you learn in each chapter with several practical exercises using the complimentary Instructor's Manual.
Build 2 Android Apps
Put Kotlin into practice while learning Android by building two pure Kotlin apps, learn to use the Kotlin Android Extensions.